This episode we’re going to talk about clay clips, car holsters, ear pro, scope mounts, 80% lowers and combat optics. Join us on this journey, won’t you?
Our panel tonight
- Savage1r is a YouTuber who makes videos about shooting, philosophy, and do it yourself projects.
- Lil Chantilly - Lil is Active Duty Navy, womens shooting advocate, long range shooter and gun blogger, at Heelsandhandguns.com
- Aaron - Law enforcement marketing specialist, Leader of the northern dwarves and media contact for WLS.
- Jeremy - Former Marine, instructor, and owner of River's Edge Tactical in Ohio
- Nick - Nick spends his day making high dollar rifles and barrels and his nights reviewing products.
- Zak – Zak is retired Air Force Security Forces and full time nursing student
- Shawn - I’m Shawn, I’m an instructor, reviewer, competitor and no one laughs at my wife jokes so I had to put in a laugh track last week.
- Brian (Guest) - We have a great guest tonight, joining us is owner and operator of Wisconsin based AR-15 manufacturer, DEZ Tactical Arms, Brian Zawistowski. (Za-WHI-Tau-ski)
- Shawn - interesting, Actually, absolutely, fantastic..
- Aaron - Piece, clip or antidisestablishmentarianism
- Anybody - WEAPON, big gulp soda (for any listeners in New York).
- Nick - poop
- Brian - Master, mastered, mastering, THE Master.
Doing it better!
What have you done lately to become a better shooter?
- Shawn: Went shooting with a couple of friends. Sometimes it’s great to just go shoot and really have fun. I spend a lot of time practicing so it was nice to haul out a bunch of guns and just go shoot. Shotgun speed reloads.
- Lil: Took my daughter to the range, I shot my XD45, she was shooting a Browning Buckmark, and we just practiced our fundamentals. Great mother/daughter time.
- savage1r: Practicing deploying the sub2000 from the folded to ready position
- Brian: Everything and anything related to triggers. I've been experimenting with different triggers for the ARs. Nailing down my own trigger pull.
This segment we talk about stuff that we have, want and need!
- Shawn: Clay Clips
- Aaron: Gum Creek Car Holster http://www.gumcreekcustoms.com/
- Lil: My concerns with Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic hearing protection (after trying 3 different pairs over a two year period) http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/impact-sport. Have any of you tried Peltor Tactical electronic ear protection?
- Or the Sordin Supreme ProX? http://www.triadtactical.com/MSA-Sordin-Supreme-Pro-X.html
- Jeremy: Ammo shipment arrival, oh happy day
- Savage: Jmeck Scope Mount for the Mosin 91/30
- Zak: EP Lowers 80% polymer receiver, JT 80% billet lower
- Brian: DEZ Tactical upcoming AR-10 .308 & MAKO Meprolight Combat Optics
This segment is for us to chat about local and sometimes national gun control. Vent away.
- Lil: Let’s talk about all the incidents of kids getting suspended for anything to do with a gun, from a tiny trinket to a New England Patriots Jersey, to kids playing with Airsoft guns in their OWN YARD. Without strong parental influence, the things kids learn in school become ingrained and are very powerful - it is practically brainwashing. Before too long, this generation will be our leaders and they are systematically being taught that guns are evil - even the symbol of a gun.
- Main INCIDENT: I read about two 7th graders who were suspended for shooting airsoft plastic pellets on their own property, watch the video at this link: http://heelsandhandguns.com/2013/09/boys-suspended-playing-toy-guns-home-time-com/
- -Yes, they needed their mom to discipline them, but one of them was suspended for a whole year!
- -According to one article the school classifies this act as "possession, handling and use of a firearm." (Source:http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/24/7th-grader-suspended-for-playing-with-airsoft-gun-in-own-yard/).
Other ridiculous incidents this week:
- 12 Year old suspended for quarter sized gun key chain at school: http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2013/09/30/parents-school-suspends-12-year-old-son-over-gun-keychain/
- 8 Year old playing cops and robbers uses Finger as a gun, gets suspended: http://www.clickorlando.com/news/boy-suspended-after-using-finger-as-pretend-gun/-/1637132/22204876/-/hfv59e/-/index.html
- Aaron - Why do we keep screwing over other shooters, I.e. ammo shortage and cost of firearms driven up by hoarding and fear. It is not the government that hurts us, it is our own fears. Whether it is hoarding, new shooters or just fear buying we are causing the market to increase cost and decrease availability. Discuss
- Jeremy: Ammo shipment arrival, oh happy day
- Savage - Maybe we can re-visit or do commentary on McMillan’s entry into credit card processing and what that means for the industry? MMS -
Now it’s time for our Montana update.
If fictional characters were to use modern publically available firearms, what would they use? PICK ONLY ONE TO TALK ABOUT
This week: Smurfs
- Papa Smurf - Savage1r - Smurfs come from Belgium, so he gets an FNH Hi-Power
- Smurfette - Savage1r - she’s a lady, so she gets the FN M1905 .25 ACP. Where does she carry it tho? Why does Smurfette get a .25? Because she is a girl? We are going to throw down Savage!!! From now on, Girls get .45s! ~Lil (this made me crack up - Shawn)
- Zak - Why not? Shawn carries one.
- Hefty Smurf - Brian - M134 Minigun (Handheld) with the ammunition backpack. Jesse Ventura style.
- Brainy Smurf - Zak - Sig P220 Carry Elite
- Jokey Smurf -Jeremy- The revolver Joker had in Batman
- Grouchy Smurf
- Clumsy Smurf - Zak - anything airsoft or a big foam finger
- Greedy Smurf - Lil It doesn’t matter what kind of gun he has, because he has so many, and he is the one buying up all the .22lr ammo, and the primers, powder, and bullets too. You will find him waiting for your favorite gun store to open on the day their shipments come in. Too bad you have to work, by the time you get there, he will have already bought it all.
- Chef Smurf
- Vanity Smurf - Shawn - When looks matter more than function, gotta be a Kimber Aegis II. 9mm because, well, he’s a smurf. 45auto is a mans cartridge.
- Handy Smurf - Aaron - Hi-Point 45 ACP, because it takes a skilled technician to take it apart, and it is so sturdy it can be used as a hammer when one is not available.
- Gargamel - Shawn - Mossberg 500 persuader, no stock, pistol grip, smurf genocide in a shell.
Gun related website of the week
- Shawn: www.AssaultedFilm.com
- Aaron: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_transcript.html
- Savage1r: www.jmeckscopemounts.com
- Brian: DezTacticalArms.com - (Company website) & http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/gunsmithing/pricing-gunsmith-work-more-brownells-survey-200977/ (Gunsmithing prices/rates).
- Lil: https://www.youtube.com/user/FateofDestinee
User feedback and user questions
You mentioned on your last episode WLS 005 about the Remington Versamax, and it's use in three gun. My question for you is: For the first time shooter in three gun, besides the obvious required guns (rifle, shotgun, pistol) what kind of gear and equipment should you bring? Having shot IDPA for a little while, I understand how your gear changes as you get more involved, but strictly from a starting point, what should I be looking for?
To get started in three gun what you’ll need is.
- Semi auto rifle with optic of your choosing or iron sights. (find out what kind of match you have locally.)
- Pistol and holster
- Magazines for pistol and rifle.
- Method for holding magazines and shotgun shells. Strong belt, vest, whatever you can find.
- Eye and hearing protection.
- cleaning kit
- Gun bag to hold it all
- Ammunition for each gun.
- Gun cases, to transfer between stages.
- Water and snacks
Then decide where your match is and start practicing.
Like 3-gun? We have a discussion with a local competitive shooter coming out this week and we talk a bit about three gun and stage planning and how he goes about it. Stay tuned.
Want a free t-shirt? All you have to do is go to welikeshooting.com/shirt and ask us a question. If it is answered on the show, we will be sending you one of our stylish shirts.
We got some iTunes reviews and wanted to thank. 5 star reviews? Are they listening to the right show?
- Billy 1911
We appreciate the feedback and basically love you now.
Email us questions, comments, or anything else at firstname.lastname@example.org,
- leave us feedback on iTunes,
- comment on our site at welikeshootingpodcast.com,
- search for us on google plus
We desire your feedback and it really helps us shape the show and make it valuable to our community
Like what we are doing and want some reviews, tips, tricks, videos, whatever? check us out at welikeshooting.com.
What shows to listen to on FRN
- Shawn: I’ve been listening to fat2fithq and the precision rifle podcast
- Aaron: This week in guns
- Lil: Handgun Radio
Thanks for listening and shoot straight.