This week steve and forrest talk about the skills to have a fun time wheeling in the sand.
Off Road Podcast Episode 58 Sand Driving Skills
On this show we cover all things off road whether you're looking for some Sunday jaunts on some fire roads or some hard core rock crawling we will cover it all. I'm your host Forrest and joining me are my fellow co hosts Steve, Bradley and Ben. How are you guys today.
have you guys done anything exciting this week or off road related.
Firearms radio network personalities will be at the 2015 BullPup Shoot.
come shoot some awesome guns at the 2015 bullpup shoot in mount carroll IL on sept 19 2015. go to bullpupshoot.com for more info.
Recently went out to the Oceano dunes with some friends. Looking for some advice regarding off-roading in the sand here are some of my questions I have:
- Recommended rigs and set up.
- Tire combinations and air pressures
- Towing in the sand
- Recovery options / tricks to get out of sand
- General actives at the dunes / off-road equipment at the dunes.
- Possible safety concerns
Thanks any info is appreciated!
Write your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or comments about the show and also if you have any questions for steves tool man write us in and ask away. could find out why the tools cost what they do or what makes them better then others.
remember to visit our sponsor patriot patch at patriotpatch.com for awesome patches like the im your huckelbery patch.
Main Topic sand driving skills
- recovery skills
- know how to use your recovery equipment tow ropes tow hooks winch etc.
- make sure you have proper recovery tools.
- proper tow points front and rear of vehicle attached to frame
- proper tow strap nothing with hooks and rated for at least twice your vehicle weight.
- winch movable from front to rear is best and mounted properly.
- land anchor if using winch. also a snatch block
- momentum is your friend when towing someone out .
- Sand driving
- air pressure is king lower is better in the sand, don't go so low that you pull your tire off the bead or run beadlocks.
- know how to use your vehicle and its off road systems ie four wheel drive or lockers.
- know how your four wheel drive engages and weather it's gonna be better in low range or high.
- some low ranges are too low and don't allow enough tire speed.
- Tires and tire pressures
- wide knobby tires work great mud tires like swampers turned backwards can act like sand paddle
- sand paddles work great but cannot be used on the street also you need power to turn them
- safety concerns
- all vehicles in dunes should be flying a flag
- watch for other riders while coming over the peak of a dune no blind jumping
- if having to jack a vehicle up in the sand remember that sand is soft and moves really easily vehicle can crush you.
- when winching or towing stay far away out of the radius of lines. watch for snapping lines.
- always be on the lookout for other drivers or riders lots of inexperienced riders and drivers out there.
be smart be courteous and be alert and as always have fun.
full show notes avliable at offroadpodcast.com/58
firearmsradio.com we are part of the fire arms radio network.