Welcome to the Off Road Podcast!! I am your host Greg Bakken and joining me is my co host, and personal rock stacker, Jeff Bakken...This is the podcast for all things offroad. Whether you're looking for Sunday jaunts on some fire roads or hard core rock crawling, we will cover it all. What's up Jeff?
Announcements: My jeep is still stock
Checkout Busted Jk http://www.busted-jk.com/
I am enjoying your off-road podcast, I owned a 72 Bronco while in college in 1982, it was not the best off road, sank in the sand, heavy, I changed the tires and engine and it then needed a new gear ratio. It was expensive and I sold the bronco, got married and had had kids.
I have owned a Bronco II, UNRELIABLE, A explorer more a family SUV, a Durango (3 transmissions) not a very capable machine, I now have a daily driver Toyota Tacoma 4x4 awesome, totally stock.
Even after owning all theses 4x4s I don't know much about off-roading, whien I need the 4x4 to continue I usually turn back.
I recently bought a bone stock jeep tj to tow Behind my Rv, take hunting and explore the Colorado backcountry where I live and leave the Toyota clean.
Here are my questions for your podcast.
- What makes a good winch, ie, pounds off pull, cable, vs synthetic rope, manufactures etc. I here buy American, get a Warn, I'm am not rock crawling just want to venture off and self recover, reliably, I know never go out alone, but let's be real, going solo is a reality.
- Why are the bigger diameter tires so much better for off road, you need to modify, suspension, wheels, lift, axles, gear ratios etc.
- I seems like all the 4x4 mods add considerable weight, doesn't this work against being more capable, light is right? Right?
- I have a Dana 35/30 on my jeep, now I feel like I need to change them out before changing wheels tires and lifting? What is the priority. I want the jeep to sit alittle higher, maybe 31 inch tires but I really don't want to drop the cash for new axles etc, I feel I would be better off selling my new toy jeep and getting one with all the mods done.
- what is the priority of 4x4 mods? Winch, tires, gears, shocks, lift, wheels, lockers, engine, mods, sliders
- How important is having more HP in off-roading.
- What type of trails can a mostly stock basic jeep safely be expected to navigate, ie, how deep of water crossing? What amount of mud depth, what height of boulders, do you have any reasonable guidelines?
- Tow straps, tow chains, recovery gear? What works best for most.
I have many more questions, I will be listening, thanks for the podcast.
Thanks, Greg from Colorado Springs
Send us your questions and comments!!!
Main Topic:Basic Recovery Equipment
First Aid Kit
Trip Reports: Club clean up run on closed trial.