Hello and welcome to Handgun Radio! I’m your host Ryan Michad from the wilds of Central Maine, and this is your home for all the news, information and discussion in the handgunning world. This week, Weerd Beard and I discuss some recent gun news, his new handgun acquisition, and much more!!
Brought to you by the Firearms Radio Network
-Heading to NRA Show later on this week. There is a listener meetup invitation up on the Handgun Radio and Firearms Radio Network Facebook pages, so go join if you’ll be there! We will have the location of the meetup nailed down later this week, but it is going to happen Saturday night, April 11th at 6:00pm.
-I’m going to be in a black or gray shirt on the show floor, so be sure to look for me if you’ll be there. I’ll be visiting the Cabot Guns booth, the Grand Power booth, and many more. Hope to see you there!
Weerd, anything exciting this week?
- friend Wally at York Arms in Maine, let me know what will be my Daughter’s first rifle is done. This rifle started out as my Father’s first rifle given to him by my Grandfather...it wasn’t a new rifle then either, I don’t know the rest of the story unfortunately. Sadly my Dad really neglected the gun and let it rust solid. I finally convinced him to transfer it Wally to be de-milled just so somebody didn’t accidently dispose of it in an illegal manner. Well Wally got the old gun working and HEAVILY restored it. Stay tuned to my blog, once I get the Model 66 in I’ll probably do a blog post on both of these firearms with pictures and history.
When Weerd Beard comes on, we typically have a pre-show discussion about what creative cocktail he has made tonight. What do we have lined up tonight?
Main Topic: Heizer, Glocks & The Curve!
This week, Weerd and I had been discussing a few different things via text message. We thought the conversation might make for an interesting show, so rather than having one overarching topic (Admittedly, I’ve been pretty busy getting all set for NRA and haven’t done much “gun” stuff) we decided to discuss the things we were thinking about this past week.
This past week, I stopped at A&G Shooting and Supply in Fairfield Center, Maine. The owner, Adam and Manager Shawn are two great guys, highly recommend the store if you’re in the area. I was perusing the shop, Shawn showed me his CZ Scorpion EVO 3 which was really really cool, and then I got to handle a Heizer Defense PAR-1 .223 pistol that was on the shop counter. My first impressions? Heavy. Really heavy. Heavier than I thought it would be. The little tiny hole at the muzzle almost seemed comical given the size of the gun. It was also really thin. I have not yet had a chance to fire one, but I’m not entirely sure how comfortable it would be. Here is a link to a video of the owner shooting the PAR-1 and the muzzleblast/flash knocks the camera over. Ballistics by the inch for .223 Remington
- Weerd Beard’s New Acqusition: I was down in Florida visiting my in-laws. Lots of sun and tropical creatures that my daughter went wild about. I also got a chance to take my Father-in-Law to a local gun shop. He bought a S&W Model 66 back in the late 70s when he was working as a public defender and had a few unsavory clients get unhappy with the outcome of their court cases. He never really fell in love with it, and now that he’s older he had concerns about manipulating the stiff trigger. So we went to Shoot Straight in Fort Myers per the recommendation of a friend. The shop was really awesome, good selection, good prices, and a small shooting range. It had all the looks of the more modern gun shops that are showing up. In the end we picked out a VERY gently used Model 19 Glock, and the Model 66 is currently being shipped up to my gun shop in Massachusetts to join my collection.
Why did cops switch to 9mm autos & away from guns like the Model 66?
How about the FBI 1986 shootout? That have much to do with it?
What do we think about the 9mm vs. .38 Special then versus now?
Taurus has released a statement saying they forgot to stamp the caliber marking on the barrel. What else have they missed?
- Dont forget to shop Brownells using our affiliate link, www.handgunradio.com/brownells
- Be sure to go like Handgun Radio on facebook and share it with your friends!
- Leave us a review on iTunes!
- Listen to all the great shows on the Firearms Radio Network! The Reloading Podcast!
- Be sure to visit the Firearms Insider for review more awesome content! Also, if you are interested in writing reviews for the Firearms Insider, please email TJ at email@example.com
- Be sure to check out the Firearms Radio Network on YouTube!
- Check out Weerd Beard at Weerd World, The Squirrel Report & GunBlog Variety Cast!
Until next week, have fun & SAFE SHOOTING!!