HGR 066 - Handgun Sights Hello and welcome to Handgun Radio! I’m your host Ryan Michad from the wilds of Central Maine, and this is your home for all the news, information and discussion in the handgunning world.
This week I am joined by Matt Hoffman to discuss sights for handguns!!
Brought to you by the Firearms Radio Network
Week In Review:
Ryan: -My wife’s car had a bad ignition coil, so I took it to our local mechanic. In talking about the car I mentioned that I had refinished some guns of my own and he asked if I could work on a Winchester 1894 .32 Win Special rifle. It had been a rifle passed down from his grandfather to his father and then to him. It had been loaned to someone and they neglected it, with rust forming on most of the exterior. The person tried to remove the rust with what looks like 150 grit sandpaper. I told him I would see what I could do and if I couldn’t do anything I would at least clean it up so it wouldn’t rust any further. I completely disassembled the whole gun. I then removed all the remaining rust, then started with progressively higher grits of sandpaper, finishing with 1000. I then buffed the whole gun with ultra fine steel wool. I used 4 applications of bluing solution over the whole rifle and it came out fanstastic! The owner was very pleased, and he noted the rifle looked better than it did when he got it as a kid. It was great to do a job for someone and have them very pleased with the result.
-Don’t forget the Werkz Holster Giveaway going on right now! You have until Monday, October 27th at 5:00 PM to enter the giveaway! You MUST do two things. First, Go leave a review on the iTunes page for Handgun Radio. Second, Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your iTunes reviewer name, and your email and real name, so I can enter you in the contest and contact you if you win. The winner will receive a coupon code that will allow them to choose one holster from the many selections available over at Werkz Holsters. The holster will come in black kydex, and the coupon will cover shipping costs. Any additional options desired will be the responsibility of the winner. Good Luck!
Main Topic: Handgun Sights
This topic is going to cover the many different sight options available for handguns out on the market. We will discuss mainly iron sights, with a little bit of optical sights thrown in as they are out there, but are used in a limited fashion.
I STRONGLY advocate for those who can, to learn how to shoot with both eyes open. Way back when I started shooting I did the old “squint my non-dominant eye” thing, but then after awhile I learned to shoot with both eyes open. Once I did that, I noticed my shooting improved dramatically. Definitely try it out if you can.
Types of Sights:
Traditional Black on Black Front Blade & Rear Notch
3 Dot (Either with white dots or Night Sights
Ghost Ring Rear with Standard Front
Sight Systems by Manufacturer
Ameriglo:Good night sights with many different varieties and setups.
Hi-Viz Fiber Optic: Great fiber optic sights for competition and some defense applications (limited)
Tru-Glo: Stouter Fiber Optic sights with deeper encapsulation and coupled with Tritium as well. Matt has experienced some coming uncoupled from the gun however.
XS Sight Systems:Big Front Dot with Shallow V rear sight offers an “Express” style sight that was popular for snap shooting on dangerous game when on Safari. Basically a Dot the I proposition.
Obscure Gun Of The Week:
Ryan: Ruger Blackhawk in 10mm with .40 S&W cylinder
Matt: Model 617 Performance Center in .22 LR with Titanium Cylinder
- Be sure to support our sponsor Caliber Coffee by www.calibercoffee.net or clicking the banner on the right hand side of the page for more information and to place an order!
- Dont forget to shop Brownells using our affiliate link, www.handgunradio.com/brownells
- Be sure to go like Handgun Radio on facebook and share it with your friends!
- Leave us a review on iTunes!
- Listen to all the great shows on the Firearms Radio Network! Power Factor Show!
- Be sure to visit the Firearms Insider for review more awesome content! Also, if you are interested in writing reviews for the Firearms Insider, please email TJ at email@example.com
- Be sure to check out the Firearms Radio Network on YouTube!
- HOLSTER GIVEAWAY! Write a Review of the show on iTunes and then email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your reviewer name and I will enter you in the giveaway contest. Winner will be announced on Episode 068. Enter by Monday October 27th 2014.
Until Next Week, Have Fun and SAFE SHOOTING!