Hello and welcome to Handgun Radio! I’m your host Ryan Michad from the wilds of Central Maine, and this is your home for all the news, information and discussion in the handgunning world. This week, I spoke with actor and Host of Gun Stories Joe Mantegna to discuss his history in the firearms world, how he got started shooting, favorite handguns and his experiences hosting Gun Stories!
Brought to you by the Firearms Radio Network
Brownells helps make Handgun Radio possible. Selection, service, satisfaction. Find it all at Brownells! If you are doing any shopping with Brownells please use our affiliate link www.handgunradio.com/brownells to help support the show!
Week in Review:
- Haven’t done much shooting this week, planning on heading to the range on the weekend. Enjoyed getting some time with the blackpowder pistol in however!
- There are just some guns that you want to own simply because they are cool. You may not have any specific use for them. The Beretta 21A Suppressed is one of those guns for me. Hickok45 put out a video this week showing one he borrowed from NCSilencer. Be sure to go check it out, it is a very neat little pistol!
- Fans of the Beretta handguns should be very happy knowing that Wilson Combat is getting into the game of customizing the Beretta 92/96 platform guns. Ergonomics have always been somewhat of a toss-up on the 92 series guns for people with smaller hands. Wilson has released a short reach steel trigger to help alleviate some of those concerns. There is a review of this new trigger and it looks like a high quality part for Beretta enthusiasts so be sure to go check it out!
- Help Support the Firearms Radio Network and the Special Operations Wounded Warrior Foundation by purchasing the audio version of the U.S. Constitution & Bill of Rights from Jericho Voice!
That about wraps up our week in review, so we are going to head into the main topic which is our discussion with actor and host of gun stories, Joe Mantegna
Main Topic: A Discussion with Actor & Host of Gun Stories, Joe Mantegna
1.) You’ve been a very active actor on Television and the Big Screen, but you have also shown a great interest in firearms. What got you started with firearms?
2.) You have a noted affinity for the 1911 .45 ACP pattern pistols as noted in the portrayal of your character David Rossi on Criminal Minds. What drew you to the 1911 pistol? Previous Competition experience?
3.) To many people, Hollywood is not the first place you think of as being “firearms-friendly”; how do you deal with an environment like that, being a firearms enthusiast? I’ve noticed that you, much like my show, eschew the political side of things. Is there a particular reason for that?
4.) Being born in Chicago, I’m sure it was very interesting to see that city back in the early 1950’s. Do you have any recollections of that time, particularly when it came to firearms? Was it a more permissive environment for firearms or similar to today?
5.) The 4th season of Gun Stories is airing on July 2nd. How did you get involved with Michael Bane and the people from Gun Stories?
6.) It is truly enjoyable to see someone of your stature and profile in the industry discussing the historical aspects of the firearms world. Have you had some favorite guns they’ve covered on the show? Besides the 1911, of course.
7.) Out of all the firearms that have been covered on Gun Stories, which one would you say is the most influential, i.e. had the biggest impact on our history as a nation or had the biggest impact on the firearms industry as a whole?
8.) I recently did an episode where I interviewed Rob Bianchin, the President of Cabot Guns. I know you’re a huge fan of their Jones Deluxe model. I have a feeling I know why, but what drew you to the Cabot Guns 1911’s?
9.) Can you tell us a little bit about what is upcoming on season 4 of Gun Stories?
10.) Any plans for the future in terms of more work with Gun Stories? Other business endeavors?
- Dont forget to shop Brownells using our affiliate link, www.handgunradio.com/brownells
- Be sure to go like Handgun Radio on facebook and share it with your friends!
- Leave us a review on iTunes!
- Listen to all the great shows on the Firearms Radio Network! Fat2FitHQ!
- Be sure to visit the Firearms Insider for review and SHOT Show 2014 coverage! Also, if you are interested in writing reviews for the Firearms Insider, please email TJ at email@example.com
- Be sure to check out the Firearms Radio Network on YouTube!
- Thank you again to Mr. Mantegna and his staff for taking the time to speak with us
Until next week, have fun and SAFE SHOOTING!!!!