Want to become more self reliant when it comes to what you eat? Troy and Aaron join Jake to discuss what to consider when planning and planting your garden this year.
Welcome to Episode 112 of Gun Guy Radio! This is the podcast that shines a positive light on the firearms lifestyle. I’m Your host Jake Challand and this is your weekly dose of positive firearms talk, without the politics.
- Aaron Krieger - We Like Shooting Podcast and We Like Shooting Reviews and on Facebook
- Troy Clopton - God and Guns Podcast and on Facebook
- Looking for interns!:
- web tech wizard
- SEO magician
- Firearms Insider Review submitter helper
Great Bond Arms Giveaway
- We are giving away the new Bond Arms “Back-up” in 45ACP!
- You get an entry for every quality Gun or Gear
- Submit your review at http://firearmsinsider.tv/submit/
- Announcing the winner on May 4th! All reviews must be submitted by April 30th
Brownells helps make this episode of Gun Guy Radio Possible.
- Selection Service Satisfaction
- Find it all at Brownells
- Go to www.gunguyradio.com/Satisfaction
Main Topic: Backyard Prepping (I’m having Troy do my show notes every week!)
Backyard Gardening for Dummies
Where to start?
- How much room to grow. (traditional vs raised beds, aquaponics, greenhouse)
- Knowledge, Sources - Farmers, local Ag Classes, 4H Club, Books, YouTube, library, garden clubs
- The Master Gardener program
- Vegetable Garden Planning for Beginners
- How much time do you have? Schedule, Group Garden or solo, pool resources, tools, land, and labor.
- Tools (Garden gloves, Spading fork, Rake, Hoe, Hand cultivator or trowel, Garden hose, Shovel, Wheelbarrow or garden cart.) Machinery is a force multiplier. List of what do I need to have get a free Free Excel Sheet @ http://www.survivalblog.com/listoflists.xls click on the Gardening and food preperations tabs
- Climate: what climate zone, annual rainfall.
- Gardening Maps
- Growing Season - Frost Dates for your location
- Types of plants, annuals, perennials, fruit trees, nuts, Type of Seeds: Hybrid or Heirloom collection and trade.Fats necessary for Children development , brain function, also cooking, and satiation. You can grow: Omega-3 fatty acids: flax seeds, canola, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, soybeans and its products such as tofu and tempeh (Soy not good for men as its high in progesterone). Dark green veggies such as kale, collards, chard, parsley, seaweed, and cereal grasses (wheat & barley grasses) are also good sources because all green (chlorophyll-rich) foods contain Omega-3 fats in their chloroplasts. Sources of Omega-6 fatty acids: Sunflower, safflower, soybeans, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, flax seeds, and most grains. Oil for cooking etc. Olive Trees, Coconut, vegetable oils, Seasonings & herbs. Important to include
- How much to plant (figure in loss from disease, drought, wildlife, blight, storms, and insects)
- Soil and location quality Soil Test (amend the soil with compost, fertilizer, PH levels, drainage, hours of sunlight, watering). Organic vs. Chemical/GMO Composting
- Harvesting (tools, time, labor, planting in cycles so you can harvest in cycle.) 4-season harvesting book
- Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long
- Preserving: Canning, freezing, root cellar, dehydrating. Water Bath/Boiling Water Canning VS Pressure Canning (tools, necessities) Salt, Sugar, Vinegar, Jars, Lids, seals, Mylar Bags, oxygen absorbers, pressure cooker, grid down canning wood stove, solar
- Canning 101: The Tools of the Trade
- Livestock & Fish: Need to consider animals for Protein & Fat: Chickens, Fish, Rabbits, Dairy, Goat, & Pigs, etc. Hard to keep your endurance up and strength for farming with just veggies & nuts.
Troy’s Book recommendations:
- The Encyclopedia of Country Living, 40th Anniversary Edition(Its like a organised and condensed Foxfire Book Series)
- Ball Blue Book Canning Guide
- Putting Food By: Fifth Edition
- All New Square Foot Gardening, Second Edition: The Revolutionary Way to Grow More In Less Space
- SurvivalBlog.com How To Save Seeds: From Your Garden
- The Prepper Project - How Big A Garden Will Your Family Need?
- Backyard Aquaponics
G&G Prepping Podcast Shows:
http://www.godandgunspodcast.com/016/ Prepping and the END
http://www.godandgunspodcast.com/039/ James Wesley, Rawles of SurvivalBlog
http://www.godandgunspodcast.com/057/ Prepping and the END, Part 2
- What I like about LAPG
- LA Police Gear Tac Teddy
- 365 Day Return Policy
- Free Shipping on all orders over $89
Gun Guy Radio Product Spotlight: Lancer Carbon Fiber Shotgun Extension Tubes
Brownells Giveaway: March Giveaway - NEBRASKA STAR BEEF - LUCKY BRAND OUTDOORSMAN JERKY
- Series3 AR Multitasker tool BLK G10, Plain Edge Blade
- Still need to hear from the winner for the month of February is: Brady Brown
- Enter by Subscribing to our email newsletter and going to http://www.gunguyradio.com/winner
SPONSOR – Ryan Cross Hunter of Design - www.hunterofdesign.com
- Feedback - Please share your thoughts by leaving a comment at the bottom of the shows notes or youtube video for this week’s episode.
- Remember to subscribe to us in iTunes so that you never miss a show and please leave us a review there as well. http://www.gunguyradio.com/itunes
- Join the NRA
- Join the Second Amendment Foundation
- Don’t forget to shop Brownells using our affiliate link http://www.gunguyradio.com/Satisfaction
- You can also contribute to the show by shopping Amazon.com via our affiliate banners or link: http://www.firearmsradio.tv/amazon
- Don’t forget to check out the other shows on the Firearms Radio Network Subscribe and listen for free at http://www.firearmsradio.tv/itunes
- Check out the (podcast that we are currently promoting) Handgun Radio