Zack, Mike and Hank return for a roundtable discussion covering "if you could only have 5 guns" listener feedback and a new shooter FAQ.
Welcome to Episode 080 of Gun Guy Radio,----this is the podcast that shines a positive light on the firearms lifestyle. I’m Your host Jake Challand and this is your weekly dose of positive firearms talk, without the politics.
Main Topic: What if you could only have 5 guns? Please pick off the shelf options
- Ruger 10/22 Takedown
- S&W M&P 9mm PRO series comp length
- S&W M&P AR-15 5.56
- Remington 870...
- Springfield XDS 45acp
- Glock 19 (gen4) (general purpose pistol)
- DD V7 LW AR-15 with ACOG (general fighting gun)
- 10/22 Takedown factory threaded w/ FO sight (general plinking, small game gun)
- Kahr PM9 (best CCW pistol for me)
- Remington 700 300winmag/308/30-06 (big game and long range fighting rifle)
New Gun Owner FAQ: Back to basics for the newbies
- Firearms Safety?
- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
- NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
- KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
- BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET
- Hearing and Eye Protection?
- What kind of ammo?
- Where do I store my gun?
- How do I clean it and how often?
- Where can I shoot it?
- How do I transport it there?
- Can I carry it?
Lane: On episode 71 you talked about your new purchase. PM9 is one of my favorites. I bought an all steel 2 tone version about 2 years ago, then had it “BearCoated” to make it all black. Check out “BearCoat” for an option.
You mentioned a new die cut grip that you purchased, can you provide me details?
Zack’s response: The die cut grip was the AGrip. Works great, feels like felt or microfiber.
Spence: I listen on Stitcher. Software suggestions
Evernote Pro & 2 that work well with it are ShoeBoxed and Meshin Calendar.
I am using Android and WindowsXP, but these apps seem to be pan platform. I like the new goals and approaches you described.
Please consider South Carolina.
FN has a huge plant in Columbia and PTR is already making plans to be very close to Myrtle Beach, SC.
In Columbia, you are about 2 to 4 hours from the Blue Ridge and Great Smokey Mountains. Wide selection of ski venues all winter. Great fresh water and salt water fishing statewide. Hunting is Whitetail deer, feral hogs, mourning dove, Bobwhite Quail, & a various ducks.
Come on down! Try it, You'll like it!
Zach: Thanks for the advice on recoil management I recently purchased a tug heavy buffer and a Yankee hill muzzle break. I was unable to buy the spikes tactical buffer due to they were outta stock and muzzle break I already had used on my brothers gun and works great I still want to get a spikes tactical heavy buffer but will wait till they are in stock. I had a shoot with some buddies last weekend and fit to try it out and was really impressed with how little my rifle now moves. Thanks again and love the podcast
Shawn: I am so excited for you & all the hard work is paying off for you & your network. You are doing what you love & paying the price to get out great stuff for me - a faithful FRN listener. I listen to many of the shows on a weekly basis & am learning a lot to apply it to my life. Again great job & congratulations. As you know if you listen to Dave Ramsey as I do success is the number one reason business fails, but you keep your foot on the rock of Jesus & He will sustain you.
Love what your doing & talk at you soon.
Benjamin: I love the Firearms Radio Network. I’ve been listening to a variety of the shows available on the network. I enjoy “Gun Guy Radio”, “The AR15 podcast”, “Tactical Paradise” and “God and Guns Podcast”. I am new to firearms and enjoy what you guys are doing for the firearms industries and the rights to carry.
As I listen the Gun Guy Radio episode 75 about the FRN Core values, I am reminded about another podcast network that has been around for a while. I don’t know if you ever heard of the TWIT TV Network (www.twit.tv), but their story is similar to the Firearms Radio Network: a series of podcast brought to you by people who are passionate about the industry they represent.
The Firearms Radio Network has quickly become one of my favorite source of information. You guys do great work and I hope to be listening to you guys are years to come.
Bill: On the topic of always pointing the muzzle in a safe direction. You can fabricate a simple and very effective clearing station by filling a 5 gallon plastic bucket three quarters full with sand (play sand or mortar sand). Simply point the weapon straight down into the bucket when clearing or for your fist shot of dry fire.
I have tested this with handguns chambered for 22lr, 22WMR, 380, 9x19, 40S&W, 357Sig, 45ACP, 357Magnum and 44Magnum. No test shot penetrated more than 4 inches into the sand. Tests were conducted with FMJ and hollow point ammunition. No hollow point penetrated more than 1.5 inches with the 180 grain 357 Mag FMJ stopping at 4 inches.
I also tested one 223 and one 5.56 load. The 223 (Hornady TAP FPD 55 grain) stopped on the surface after blowing 5 inches of sand out of the bucket and the 5.56 (surplus M855) stopped 3 inches in after blowing about 6 inches of sand out of the bucket.
I hope this helps some of your listeners. Its cheap and cheesy and throws sand EVERYWHERE but, it will stop a round from getting to your family or neighbor.
Check-out our wish list here: Amazon GGR wish list
Weekly Giveaway: Brownells $20 in gift card
This Weeks Winner: Phillip Glaeser
Next Week’s Giveaway: $20 Brownells Gift Cards
SPONSOR – Ryan Cross Hunter of Design - www.hunterofdesign.com
- Feedback - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Record a voicemail using the Speak Pipe Plugin on the right hand side of GGR
- Don’t forget to purchase your Gun Guy Radio stickers
- Remember to subscribe to us in iTunes so that you never miss a show and please leave us a review there as well. http://www.gunguyradio.com/itunes HELP us hit 300 reviews!
- Facebook.com/GunGuyRadio page
- GunGuyRadio.com site for show notes
- Join the NRA
- Join the Second Amendment Foundation
- The Firearms Radio Network Needs your help! Show us some love by going to http://www.gunguyradio.com/love/
- Don’t forget to check out the other shows on the Firearms Radio Network Subscribe and listen for free at http://www.firearmsradio.tv/itunes