We talk with Steve about modern L.E. duty firearms including handguns, backup guns, shotguns and rifles.Welcome to Gun Guy Radio! the podcast that shines a positive light on the firearms lifestyle. I’m Your host Jake and this is Zack the director of marketing at Lone Wolf Distributors. This is your weekly dose of positive firearms talk, without the politics.
Week in Review:
- Jake - Studio work
- Zack - Sighted in the caracal, shot the NIB-X AR-15 again now with JP trigger!
- Brownells Sight Calculator http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/Miscellaneous/sightCorrection_F2.swf
- Hank - Nothing gun/shooting related this week. Spending time on my other hobby of Halloween and trying to get my house completed. www.facebook.com/thehouseat316
- Steve-traded an AR lower parts kit and some ammo for a stripped upper; built spikes tactical lower with enhanced LPK, just need a buttstock now
Main Topic: Duty Guns - What guns do law enforcement carry?
Dept. requirements and restrictions
- Some dept. don’t allow bug guns
- My friends in Elgin are allowed BUG’s but they must be purchased personally
- Houston can anything larger than .25 and must be personally purchased as well
- others just won’t issue backups
- Some restrict to single caliber (ie 45 only)
- No caliber restrictions for Elgin
- Houston can only be .40 for duty unless they are grandfathered in
- Some no longer allow 1911 ie some locals in texas
Some examples of issue sidearms
- Glock (whole family)
- Houston has a Glock 22 for duty and Glock 23 for personal. I carry a glock 22 on duty. The longer barrel is nice for better accuracy, I shoot the glock much better than I did with my xd. It's a glock so there always parts available. The one thing that gets me is the grip angle causes me to get slide bite. I have a gen 4 and I don't get the slide bite with no backstrap on but I have too much trigger finger. I put a GFA beaver tail on it and now I don't get the slide bite. I carry a glock 23 off duty same reasons
- Elgin1 has a M&P 45 - had a Glock 23 compensated and HATED it
- Elgin2 has a XDM9 3.8 and LOVES it! Had a Glock 23 and hated it also.
- Beretta 92
- Sig 226, 229, 220 ect.
- S&W M&P
- H&K P2000, USP
Some examples of issued rifle
- Mini 14
- Houston but not issued
- Houston but not issued
- H&K UMP 40
- FN P90 (bullpup) (some rural sheriff’s departments)
Some examples of shotgun
- Remington 870
- Houston runs 870’s or Benelli semi-auto’s
- Mossberg 500
Glock Corner: Just found your podcasts and find you entertaining. Also diet shows are very timely as well, just starting into fitness, weight loss and nutrition and very interested to see your methods and results. Zach you mentioned a T&E frame for G19/G23 Timberwolf. I have been looking for info to sign up here and on Lone Wolf, but have been unable to find anything. How can I get involved in T&E for you? I'm a gun smithing student (AGI), Glock armorer and engineer by trade. Would love an opportunity like this. Keep up the great work, Tom Murphy Facebook: Hi guys. quick question. i want to start reloading and own a glock 22 and glock 27. i heard a rumor that you shouldnt shoot reloads through a glock. wondering if this is a myth or not? great show keep up the great work. pat fitzy
Weekly Giveaway: Comp-Tac Holsters $100 gift certificate winner is Cam Coble
Listener Voicemail: Clay
Listener Email: shon writes: Looking at building my first AR. I don't currently have the cash for a decent complete rifle so I thought I should at least buy a lower (or two) just in case politically things don't go in the right direction. Took your advice and looked into palmetto state armory. They offer a polymer stripped lower for cheap. Do you guys have any experience with polymer lowers. I own a S&W 15-22 which is mostly polymer and it just rocks and I don't see any long term durability issues with it being a polymer rifle but it cambered in .22lr. Thoughts on a polymer .223 lower? Trey - Hey Guys By the way I did not hear you all mention the M&P Full Size Carry and Range kit. It comes with Blade-Tech® Kydex® Holster, Blade-Tech® Double Magazine Pouch, Maglula Uplula™ Speed Loader, Ear Plugs, and Extra Magazine (3 total). Kind of like the XD's. Here are the 9MM and .40 from Bud's Gun Shop. Anyway keep up the good work. And I am enjoying I,Sniper thinking I should have gotten the other Hunter book you had instead of the weapon one. Seth - I really enjoy the show and look forward to it every week. I only thing I wish is you guys would do a little more research on your topics. I feel it's important to give out the best information you can. I cringe every time I hear a wrong model of firearm being stated for example the XD line was way off. The essentials package is gun only with no Tupperware. The gear system is the one with the Tupperware. Other than that type of stuff I love you guys. Zack even caused me to go to the dark side. I bought a G9 carbine and a G19 with CAP sights to go with. Thanks guys keep up the good work. Rob - Just got back from the range. Today was the second outing with my new Glock 17. WOW I can really hit what I shoot at. Today was paper to see how well I was shooting. At 7 yards I was shooting good 3in groupings. I never shot my old Colt Commander 9mm this well EVER. I just thought I was a crappy shot. Then I moved back to steel plates I was drilling the steel at 150 ft never missed. WOW was that fun. Can't wait for your next show. Mike - I heard on part 3 of the M&P vs. Glock vs. XD that you guys pulled up M&P magazine prices of $32 on MidwayUSA. Just wanted to let you know that you can get them for $19.95 at http://www.botachtactical.com/smwempma.html I'm still waiting for the M&P40 to get in stock, but I bought four extra mags from Botach already!!! :) Free shipping too! Steven - Great podcast, the show is very informative and has helped me as a new shooter become more knowledgeable about firearms. The M&P v XD v Glock series was great for me because I am in the process of purchasing my first handgun in the near future. Also, what do you guys think of the ejection, and brass to face problems Glock has with the recent gen 3 and 4 9mm and .40 cal models. Also for a new shooter like me it is very refreshing to have a gun podcast not concern itself with politics and just stick to firearms. Keep up the awesome work, and I look forward to future episodes. Jon - Love the show really helps work go by I would like for you guys to do a show on customized glocks and other things you can do them with the large aftermarket parts available now and how that might affect them, thanks in advance