FRN favorites, Hank Hockey and Devin Blystone, join Carol to give some great perspective on what life is like in our real worlds. Listen in, you might identify with a single guy, a dad of two or a mom of three. Surely something said in this roundtable will inspire you to join us on a journey to a healthier life!
Welcome to the Fat2FitHQ podcast. I’m your host, Carol Salva and along with me are Hank Hockey and Devin Blystone of the Firearms Radio Network . In this podcast we are chronicling our journeys from Fat to Fit. We talk about pursuing a healthier lifestyle not only in diet, but in all areas of life.
Topic: Hank Hockey and Devin Blystone, from the FRN Network
Hank Hockey Director of Sales at FRN and former CoHost of Gun Guy Radio: Skinny kid with high metabolism. Couldn’t gain weight to save my life...then 30 hit! REALLY want to start eating better overall. Not just me, but my family. Wife and two daughters, 13 and 11. Competitive dancers (one that has a super fast metabolism and one that has a very slow metabolism). The toughest part is getting everyone on the same page when their bodies require different amounts...trying to figure out what approach to start with. Having some physical ailments (tendon tears) that keep hanging me up and keeping me from starting to work out again, not to mention the extreme cold and snow that we’ve been having in Chicago that keeps us indoors a lot lately...did I mention that I make excuses for everything...you probably already figured that out! Hahahaha http://www.myfitnesspal.com/GunguyHank
Devin Blystone of Firearms Insider & Producer of Gun & Gear Podcast: Skinny kid, chubby teen, fat young adult by eating fast food and pizza rolls (especially when I figured out I could have bacon any time I wanted). Started hating that I all my friends were skinny. Asked my friend about zee gym he was going to. Convinced me to come try it after hanging out one day. Started going a lot. Listened to the owner(used to be a trainer at another gym). Started eating better. Plateaued around 230, just started track what I eat this past week. 285 when I started and now 225.75. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/DevinBly
Carol Salva of Fat2Fit HQ: My story - chubby kid. Chubby Adult. But after kids, too much weight that wasn’t going anywhere. I’ve starved myself, yo-yo dieting, tried quick-fix pills and such. Finally, committed to losing the weight in 2009. Over trained and super low calorie restriction got me way down (below a healthy weight) and then I couldn’t maintain it. That is when I got obsessed. Thankfully, the obsession has lead me to learn about myself and new ways of making healthy choices that don’t put weight on me. Struggling with 10lbs of Christmas weight. No time to exercise much lately. Hoping “The Carb Nite Solution” will be the answer.
From the Community:
- JackTJr NSNG! (No Sugars N Grains) When you feel like you need to snack; go for Protein or Fat (Fat - especially if your Fat adapted).
- GEARDad Cauliflower rice helps to curb the need for the evil white refined grain of death.
- GoodDaytoYou Sometimes I make an "obstacle course" before I leave for work. I use big post it's, stick them on the wall or with home equipment. This works well if I'm working late or I know motivation to really work out isn't gonna be there. I make many smaller tasks like "25 sit ups" or "50 squats" and space them between cooking and chores. Seeing them written up on the wall makes me want to do them and take the post it down, but then again I might be a tad OCD.
- lsutton484 i tell myself "get off your ass memories aren't made on the couch." Oh yeah go camping in the arctic eat around 3500 calories a day and still loose 3 pounds in 2 days. it may not be for everyone but i still have all my toes so i must have done ok.
- jeffhendershot No secrets. Just knowing that others are observing your commitment (diary, exercise routine, appearance) is enough. Logging is a good motivator. When you desire to eat sweets, at least make it a protein bar! :-)
Useful links we mention:
Bigmoneyscott: Inspiring me to lose 60 lbs so far!
Started looking for a gun podcast and thought I would give this one a try. With my surprise, it changed my life. They interview a lot of inspirational podcasters that taught me the proper way to eat and sleep. In turn it will cause us to be healthy first, and as a result it will lead us to lose weight and become a healthy weight. Give it a try! It was well worth it to me!
Dear Bigmoneyscott: WOW!! What a great story you have. Your feedback is sure to inspire other folks. We are really touched that our show has had a positive effect on your life. Sixty pounds is impressive for anyone. You’re the one doing the work, so be sure to congratulate yourself. Thank you so much for the review. And keep up the great work! - Carol
- Join TEAM FRN: The Gun Runners!
- We call ourselves runners but we are mostly gun-walkers. Run/Walk with us on June 7th in Nashville, Tenn!
- Watch Caroline’s Tough Mudder Journey: http://youtu.be/gQ-DhvWBYOI
- Shoes that are great for Tough Mudder: http://www.6pm.com/vivobarefoot-breatho-trail-l-light-grey-dark-blue
CONNECT WITH US:
- Official Fat2Fit-Biters Site: http://www.fitbit.com/group/22BHX3
- Fat2Fit HQ Sparkteam
- Send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thank you for the iTunes reviews!
- Please leave us a review in iTunes to really help out the show. Fat2FitHQ Itunes Link
- How do I leave a review you ask?? Read on...
HOW TO LEAVE A REVIEW IN iTUNES
- Depending on your device, you may be able to just click the link above, see the iTunes preview page and click your way into ITunes and our show. It is easy from STORE and so it may be obvious on your screen or you can follow the steps below.
- For help, watch this youtube video (thank you John White for this)
- To leave a review using an iPhone or iPad, watch: http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=9eMFNiBrnHY
- Here are the steps to leave your MUCH appreciated review:
- Go to STORE in iTunes or in your Podcast App
- Find the podcast that you would like to write a review for. (we are Fat2FitHQ podcast)
- Click “Write a Review” in the Customer Reviews section.
- Enter your sign in information when prompted (unless you are already signed in).
- Select a star rating.
- Enter a title for your review.
- Write your review in the Review box.
- Click the Submit button.
Come join us on our journeys from Fat to Fit! A show about pursuing a healthier lifestyle not only in diet, but in all areas of life.