Welcome to Episode #146 of the AR15 Podcast. On this episode we’re talking discreet carry cases for your AR. We want to let you know that we are continuing registration for our giveaway for the Vortex Spitfire 3X Prism Scope. We are asking you, our listeners and fans to nominate a Veteran to receive the Vortex Spitfire. You can go to the link Click Here to Enter. We will also have a link on our Facebook Page for you to use. We’ll be doing the drawing on Veteran’s Day (Nov 11).
We want to let you know that we are beginning registration for our giveaway for the Vortex Spitfire 1X Prism Scope. We are asking you, our listeners and fans to nominate a First Responder to receive the Vortex Spitfire 1x Scope. You can go to the link Click Here to Enter. We will also have a link on our Facebook Page for you to use. We’ll be doing the drawing on Thanksgiving Day (Nov 26).
We want to let you know about a great source for T-shirts and Patches! If you go to http://patriotpatch.co/ you can line up to pre-order the new “In God We Trust” patch and buy more FRN stickers, Patches and TSHIRTS!
Main Topic: Low-Profile AR Carrying Cases
Why to Conceal?
Assembled vs Broken Down
Size vs Discreteness
- Diversion Racquet Bag - from Blackhawk
- Available at many gun stores, designs are very similar to sports equipment bags, but still offer room for a broken down AR or an SBR <12”
- Loop material and a divider inside, carry strap
- 2 Vets Arms M4 Pack Insert (LBT-2813E)- from London Bridge Trading
- Very tough to find, bought in a kit on sale from LBT, <$75
- Loop material and rifle attachment points inside
- Different colors, shaped more like a small instrument bag
- Quick-open zippers to peel apart the case
- Pilates Mat Bag -
- fly way under the radar and very inexpensive. 95
- Discreet Operations Rifle Case - from Critical Precision
- Started with an initial-order group buy, financed first production run here in the US. Orders just arrived.
- Very high-quality materials, looks almost like a video camera or production gear bag
- Removable divider, lots of padding inside
- Quick-open zipper top
October 11: Casey Fowler
October 18: Dean Ackles
October 25: Joseph Doughty
November 1: Cheryl Greene Fordyce
The fine folks at Otis Technology have sent over a mountain of rifle maintenance tools and cleaning kits for the AR-15 and AR-10. We’ve been tasked with giving them away. Watch for the special posts on Facebook and Instagram to get a chance to win some of the awesome products made by Otis Technology. We’ll give away a complete MSR Cleaning kit in either 5.56 or 7.62 in the middle of each month up until Christmas, when we’ll give away a complete Otis Technology Elite Cleaning System to one lucky listener. During the alternating weeks, we’ll be giving away a host of Otis tools and cleaning supplies.
timlido: After last weeks podcast I realized I should consider changing my home defense 5.56 ammo. I was using 45 grain hollow point rodent ammo b/c I did not think my 1:9 barrel twist could handle >62 grains. I guess I thought my barrel would explode or something. I will now consider the higher grain home defense ammo. Thank You!
Michael C.: Read, I finished listening to the episode regarding an AR for home defense.
Twenty years ago my Department. Did a huge practice study of the best bullet for the AR. This test came about because of the need to start deploying rifles with patrol deputies. Prior to that the rifles were kept in the station armory or in the Sergeant car. There were a few exceptions such as our Special Weapons Teams and deputies working in rural areas.
About 15 years ago our Special Weapons Teams changed from 9mm H7K MP5 to M4.
Executives who knew nothing about weapons, ammunition, or police work for that matter were concerned that using a rifle in an urban environment the bullet would go through all the buildings, ritchot and kill everyone on the block.
After a bunch of tests that included shooting in an actual house, through drywall, insulated and uninsulated, stucco, bricks, vehicles, glass. We found out the best bullet to use in a house and urban environment.
Now we also had to look at a bullet was accurate out to 200 yards and was capable of taking down a man. (FYI the longest shot taken by a sniper with a .308 was 125 yards, the longest for .223 was 75 yards)
The bullet we found worked the best.....drum roll......
55-grain soft point. Yes, that is correct. Plain old across the counter nothing special 55 grain soft point. The same thing you could use on coyotes or small animals.
When the bullet hit drywall it begins to mushroom/break apart. When it hit the second sheet of drywall it spreads into shrapnel. the effect is much less if there is insulation in the walls. The bullet was stopped with stucco.
Interestingly a .22 LR penetrated more than the .223.
You haven't talked about it much, but bullet design plays a large part in bullet performance. Everyone is so worried about OTM, Steel core and heavy-weights, everyone forgets the humble soft point.
On a side note: Comparing a 20 inch barrel to a 14.5 inch barrel. Performance is virtually the same out to 200 yards. I've shot my 7 inch pistol out to 200 yards and hit steel. The pistol has an aim point and I stuck a bipod on it for the test.
Keep up the good work. I hope I can start punching out shows again real soon.
Josh from Henderson, NV: Hello Reed and friends, I just wanted to thank you for the awesome podcast you guys put out every week.
I'm also glad James is on the show now. I live right outside of Vegas as well and hope that some topics pertaining to being a shooter in the state of Nevada might be discussed at some point.
I still don't know how you guys come up with show ideas every week, so here's one that I would like to suggest that pertains to our favorite black rifle. Maybe every week you could highlight a new product that has recently come out. For example, even though I have adopted the keymod interface I see that a company called Kinetic has come out with a new way to attach picatinny rail sections to an m-lok handguard that is really slick.
Thanks again for the great shows. Shayne: Reed, I'm a listener of your AR15 podcast as well as a big fan of what you guys do. I would appreciate it if you would have Andy from ZQI Ammo on your show. They have excellent ammo at reasonable prices. Now they have a direct buy program. ZQIammo.com. Many of your listeners know about the ZQI ammo from Walmart. What many listeners may not know is that ZQI has rebranded some of its ammo under the Guardian name as well as added a new line of ammo from Israel from IMI Independence brand. ZQI also has a sister company called Zenith Firearms that some of your listeners would care to know about. I appreciate all that you guys do with the AR15 podcast and the Firearms Radio Network. Thanks again for your time.
Casey F: Keep the podcast coming. I looking at two barrels for my build one has chrome bore and the other does not. Is it more important to have the one with chrome over the one that doesn't. Thanks again
Casey F: Enjoy the podcast , download as many podcast that I can Need some advice I have a magpul mil-spec moe stock on a mil-spec buffer tube This stock has a lot of movement and makes a lot of noise of the rifle Do you have any thoughts on how to fix this problem short of replacing the stock. Would it be possible for you to do a podcast about the different gas tube lengths and the Pros and cons of these gas tube lengths. Thanks again and keep the podcast coming
- Send us any questions or comments to email@example.com
- You can also send us a recorded voicemail by using the Speak Pipe Plugin on the right hand side of the AR-15 Podcast website
- Subscribe and listen to the AR-15 Podcast for free in iTunes or on Stitcher and leave us a review so the show can place higher in the searches for potential listeners
- Share your pics with us on Instagram at @ar15podcast and tag your pictures with #ar15podcast
- Check us out over on Periscope @ar15podcast for quick LIVE videos from cool events or casual conversation about ARs
- Follow us on G+ to watch us LIVE at https://plus.google.com/+AR15podcast
- Check out our YouTube page at https://www.youtube.com/c/ar15podcast
- Follow us on Facebook com/ar15podcast
- Check out the other great podcasts on the Firearms Radio Network
- Don’t forget to use our Brownells Affiliate link for all your AR-15 parts (ar15podcast.com/parts)
- And use the Amazon affiliate links on the tv and ar15podcast.com websites or goto firearmsradio.tv/amazon