Welcome to Episode #132 of the AR15 Podcast. We’ve got Rob from 308AR.com with us this week to talk about all things AR-10. We want to let you know about a new source of cool products! Go to Patriot Patch Co. to pre-order the Huckleberry patch and buy FRN stickers. Main Topic: Rob - 308AR.com
- About Rob
- About 308AR.com
- 5300+ members, 150k+ posts
- Rob helps vendors with group buys, sponsorships
- 308 AR vs AR-10 vs Big-bore AR naming convention
- AR-10 vs AR-15
- History: The 308 came before the 223!
- Prototypes in 1955 to replace the Garand
- Gas system (DI) was novel to the era
- Armalite was division of Fairchild Aircraft Corp - plastics, aluminum
- Sudanese in ‘58 started at $225 each
- Version made in ‘58 for KLM Airlines for Arctic survival during transpolar flights
- Significant usage by Portuguese Paratroopers during Angolan War ‘61-74
- Gas cutoff system allowed grenades to be fired with blanks, shells ejected fine
- In 1958 Armalite engineers (Stoner, Sullivan, Fremont) made a .223 firing prototype.
- AR-10a was a scaled up AR-15 without the benefits of the development that happened on the original Artillerie Inrichtingen AR-10
- Colt bought out rights in 1959, marketing to US military
- AR-10b developed in 1995 after Armalite was bought
- SR-25 - Stoner joined Knight’s Armament in early ‘90s, SOCOM adopted as Mk11Mod0 in 2000. Starting in 2011 began replacing with Mk20 (SCAR)
- USMC had Mk11Mod1 w/ M110 SASS uppers then Mk11Mod2 (new rail, cans)
- Major ‘Branches’ of AR-10 Builds
- Manufacturer Differences/Compatibility
- Armalite vs DPMS
- DPMS probably took off bigger
- Some are proprietary
- Build vs Buy
- Accuracy concerns
- Complete uppers
- The barrel is the heart
- Caliber Choices
- 5CM for paper
- 338 Federal popular in MT
- Unique Accessories?
- Upcoming Products
- Seen at SHOT?
May 25: @msr300blk
May 31: Billy W. - @bigbiller on Instagram
June 7: Chris Inouye
June 14: David Michaelson
June 21: Daniel McElwain
June 28: Rick Rasnic
July 5: Roger Morris!
July 12: Jesse Losey
The fine folks at Otis Technology have sent over a mountain of rifle maintenance tools and cleaning kits for the AR-15 and AR-10. We’ve been tasked with giving them away. Watch for the special posts on Facebook and Instagram to get a chance to win some of the awesome products made by Otis Technology. We’ll give away a complete MSR Cleaning kit in either 5.56 or 7.62 in the middle of each month up until Christmas, when we’ll give away a complete Otis Technology Elite Cleaning System to one lucky listener. During the alternating weeks, we’ll be giving away a host of Otis tools and cleaning supplies.
Jul 13th, 10:37am
Thanks Guys I got my Otis Tool, I will use it proudly. You know you have room on the tool to have it marked with your logo. Pitch the idea to OTIS to offer engraving to companies like pens and other items and then people that hold events can throw em in as goodies. Hehe I know they would be expensive goodies but you know like Friends of NRA and such would be good as they could defray the cost with the cost of dinner at the banquets.
Jul 16th, 4:59pm
Thanks guys. Tool works great.
- Send us any questions or comments to email@example.com
- You can also send us a recorded voicemail by using the Speak Pipe Plugin on the right hand side of the AR-15 Podcast website
- Subscribe and listen to the AR-15 Podcast for free in iTunes or on Stitcher and leave us a review so the show can place higher in the searches for potential listeners
- Share your pics with us on Instagram at @ar15podcast and tag your pictures with #ar15podcast
- Check us out over on Periscope @ar15podcast for quick LIVE videos from cool events or casual conversation about ARs
- Follow us on G+ to watch us LIVE at https://plus.google.com/+AR15podcast
- Check out our YouTube page at https://www.youtube.com/c/ar15podcast
- Follow us on Facebook com/ar15podcast
- Check out the other great podcasts on the Firearms Radio Network
- Don’t forget to use our Brownells Affiliate link for all your AR-15 parts (ar15podcast.com/parts)
- And use the Amazon affiliate links on the tv and ar15podcast.com websites or goto firearmsradio.tv/amazon