Welcome to Episode #124 of the AR15 Podcast. I’m your host Reed Snyder and tonight I’m flying solo. This is the podcast about your favorite black rifle! This show is for you; whether you're building your first AR or you’ve been building ARs for years. There is something we can all do to take our black rifle to the next level. Brownells helps make this show possible.
Don’t forget that Brownells, with their 100% lifetime satisfaction guarantee, is there for you anytime you have a problem, like when you can’t remove the taper pins from your new barrel to slip off the front sight base and you now have to find a new barrel.
Brownells Edge Program
FREE Standard Shipping On ALL Orders
Discounts On 2-Day & Overnight Shipping
FREE Return Shipping
Special Members-Only Offers & Discounts
Main Topic: Building an AR-15 from Scratch - Part 2
The Lower Receiver Assembly
- The Receiver
- Not much to be done to begin
- The Lower Receiver Parts
- start with the mag release
- bolt catch is next in the install
- protect your receiver when installing roll pins
- Pivot pin is my next priority
- I install my trigger before the safety selector
- install the grip to retain the safety selector
- the Takedown pin is held in place by a spring and detent, I usually install the Takedown pin last unless the spring is captured by the grip (which depends on which receiver you get)
- install the hammer next followed by
- Receiver Extension Tube
- advance the castle nut up the tube as far as it will go
- work the endplate as close to the castle nut as it will go
- remove the Takedown pin detent spring
- thread the tube into the receiver until just before the lip catches the buffer retainer
- depress the buffer retainer and advance the tube enough to reveal the milled detent hole in the receiver
- install the Takedown pin detent spring
- rotate the tube back in line with the receiver
- work the endplate as close to the receiver as possible without kinking the Takedown pin detent spring
- tighten the castle nut to its final position
- Buffer and Buffer Spring
- work the spring and buffer into the receiver extension tube
March 30: Michael Sheldon
April 6: Nathan Sanders
April 13: Mike Mourer
April 20: Eric Strong
April 27: Michael Blace
May 3: Koal McMillan
The fine folks at Otis Technology have sent over a mountain of rifle maintenance tools and cleaning kits for the AR-15 and AR-10. We’ve been tasked with giving them away. Watch for the special posts on Facebook and Instagram to get a chance to win some of the awesome products made by Otis Technology. We’ll give away a complete MSR Cleaning kit in either 5.56 or 7.62 in the middle of each month up until Christmas, when we’ll give away a complete Otis Technology Elite Cleaning System to one lucky listener. During the alternating weeks, we’ll be giving away a host of Otis tools and cleaning supplies.
Mike: Guys - Great show as usual. Thanks for revisiting the AR build. Really enjoyed this episode. Really been thinking about a 264 LBC build, but not sure when it may happen. Any coverage of muzzle breaks and or suppressors would interest me for show topics. I know it's revisit for muzzle breaks.
jscanter: I really think that you are going to like your Daniel Defense butt stock. I bought one for my build and think it's great.
Joe C: Hey guys, always a great show. I have semi-finished my build up to the optics and can read all about them, but until I can see them in a store they'll have to wait. You always ask for a list of the build so here goes.
Mega Arms Maten billet upper/lower set w/ mkm extended rifle length (15") hand rail; Daniel defense buttstock; JP silent captured spring; AXTS raptor charging handle; Lord Arms BCG w/ CX6 finish; Geiselle SSA-E trigger; Magpul MOE+ grip; Noveske end plate w/QD attachment
BAD-CASS safety; Rainier Arms extended mag release; Diamond Head front and rear sights; Rainier Arms 18" barrel; Battle Comp BABC compensator; Odin Works handstop; and a Savvy Sniper Cobra QUAD X Sling
Tried very hard to make sure everything I bought was made in the USA. Thanks a lot guys, I'll send you some Instagram pics and let you know how it works.
- Send us any questions or comments to email@example.com
- You can also send us a recorded voicemail by using the Speak Pipe Plugin on the right hand side of the AR-15 Podcast website
- Subscribe and listen to the AR-15 Podcast for free in iTunes or on Stitcher and leave us a review so the show can place higher in the searches for potential listeners
- Share your pics with us on Instagram at @ar15podcast and tag your pictures with #ar15podcast
- Follow us on G+ to watch us LIVE at https://plus.google.com/+AR15podcast
- Check out our YouTube page at https://www.youtube.com/c/ar15podcast
- Follow us on Facebook facebook.com/ar15podcast
- Check out the other great podcasts on the Firearms Radio Network
- Don’t forget to use our Brownells Affiliate link for all your AR-15 parts (www.ar15podcast.com/parts)
- And use the Amazon affiliate links on the Firearmsradio.tv and ar15podcast.com websites or goto firearmsradio.tv/amazon