Welcome to Episode #110 of the AR15 Podcast. I’m your host Reed Snyder and with me tonight are my regular Co-Hosts, Anthony Hardy and J.W. Ramp. This is the podcast about your favorite black rifle! This show is for you; whether you're building your first AR or you’ve been building ARs for years. There is something we can all do to take our black rifle to the next level.
Brownells helps make this show possible.
Don’t forget that Brownells, with their 100% lifetime satisfaction guarantee, is there for you anytime you have a problem, like when you can’t remove the taper pins from your new barrel to slip off the front sight base and you now have to find a new barrel.
Reed and Anthony interview Female Firearms enthusiasts on how to grow female interest and participation.
Tennille Gibson Chidester
Cameon (Cami) Eisenzimmer
Panel Focus: How do we grow the female shooting community?
- How did you get into firearms? Can you tell us how you are currently involved with firearms or the firearms industry? 2. What are your thoughts about the current level of participation by females in the firearms arena (home/self defense, hunting, recreational shooting, competitive shooting, etc)?3. Of the following areas, which do you feel has the most opportunity for growth among females; home/self defense, hunting, recreational shooting, competitive shooting or another area? Why?4. If you could pick one or two things that the firearms industry could do differently, what would they be (changes for females or just industry changes in general)?5. In your opinion, what would be the best way to create interest to grow the female shooting community?
- GEAR. J.W. wants to know about their awesome ARs.
- SHOT Show thoughts?
The AR-15 Giveaway Winner:
Bear: Hey guys, I've been tweaking my first AR (a pretty base line DPMS), & finally have it about where I want it. It cycles well, & somewhat slower than most other ARs I've tried, leaving the felt recoil much lower & less jarring. I love the way it shoots, & it's turned into a great first project. But because we can never be satisfied, I'm now thinking of starting my first build. It's going to be in .308, & I'm considering something in the bullpup realm so that I can have a longer barrel without sacrificing overall length.
Before I get to that, I'd like to purchase another .223/5.56, as I'm considering cerakoting pink & giving my current AR to my girlfriend if & when we decide to get married. Being a .223/5.56, I'd again like to go w/ something shorter & came across a link for what appears to be a great "SHOT Show" sale on complete AR pistols through Radical Firearms.
I'm wondering what you guys can tell me about the manufacturer, if there's anything in particular I should look out for, & also what you might recommend for a barrel length. I'd like something that's accurate between 100-200 yards, but the primary concern is coming up with something that's easier to handle like my DPMS has turned out to be (so I'm considering a carbine length gas system as opposed to pistol length, & anything else that might make it a better handler). I would gladly sacrifice shortness for ease of use as It's already going to be shorter than a conventional AR.
Thanks for any insight you might have on this, & for all you do through the podcast. I listen to lots of them on the FRN, but when I have technical questions or something specific to the AR platform, the AR-15 Podcast is definitely my first stop. Sorry for the length of this, below is a link to the Radical Firearms promo & a couple pictures of my current rig for your critique (I do have a somewhat unique variable zoom/ red dot combo not pictured here as well, but I love my irons!).
Peter L.: As the Spanish say, el Good Morning-o. In episode 108, Shayne's Dad asked about a bit of ninja rail that clamps around an A2 front sight. Reed sounded unconcerned about its strength, assuming its a true A2 tower (i.e. taper-pinned in place), but JW expressed some trepidation regarding it's practicality. I share both views. I have one on my frankenrifle and it serves quite well, though the Magpul cantilever mount would probably serve just as well or better. I just couldn't find one locally, but wanted my light further forward, hence the tower-clamp-thingy. All the same, I like the result.
My 100yd zero did shift a few inches after attaching the bright glowy device, but group size was unaffected. I consider the light "permanently attached", so I keep it doped that way. I've had no problems in many, many hundreds of rounds.
If the ergonomics fit you, I say go ahead and use the clamp thingy. Plus, more ninja rail is more cooler, right?
The podcast continues to give me great enjoyment. Thank you for all the work you put into it.
Brian T: I was watching your video on youtube and saw your ar blueprints. Where did you purchase those at if i may ask. Thank you very much.
Thomas G.: My SBR build almost complete. They didn't do my rear takedown pin or my qd end plate.
rexracer707: Thanks guys for a great podcast. Just got into listening to podcasts, yours was the first ones I downloaded. I'm hooked now. Thanks again great show
Thomas G: Reed, hope you are recovering from Shot Show and that you made some good contacts for upcoming shows. That being said I was thinking you could explore doing a show on 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, or even 7.62x39 or 5.45x 39 ARs.
I also have a question in regards to AR sights on SBRs. Would you go with an Aimpoint or EOTech. I was thinking I would go with XS Sights for rifles on it but started to think I should go red dot. What are your thoughts.
- Send us any questions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can also send us a recorded voicemail by using the Speak Pipe Plugin on the right hand side of the AR-15 Podcast website
- Subscribe and listen to the AR-15 Podcast for free in iTunes or on Stitcher and leave us a review so the show can place higher in the searches for potential listeners
- Share your pics with us on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/groups/blackrifle/ or follow us on Instagram at @ar15podcast and tag your pictures with #ar15podcast
- Follow us on G+ to watch us LIVE at https://plus.google.com/+AR15podcast
- Check out our YouTube page at https://www.youtube.com/c/ar15podcast
- Follow us on Facebook com/ar15podcast
- Check out the other great podcasts on the Firearms Radio Network
- Don’t forget to use our Brownells Affiliate link for all your AR-15 parts (ar15podcast.com/parts)
- And use the Amazon affiliate link on the Firearmsradio.tv and ar15podcast.com websites or goto tv/amazon