Welcome to Episode #098 of the AR15 Podcast. I’m your host Reed Snyder and with me today are my co-hosts, JW Ramp and Anthony Hardy. This is the podcast about your favorite black rifle! This show is for you; whether you're building your first AR or you’ve been building ARs for years. There is something we can all do to take our black rifle to the next level. Our Special Guest tonight is Levi, winner of the first AR-15 Podcast giveaway
Brownells helps make this show possible.
Don’t forget that Brownells, with their 100% lifetime satisfaction guarantee, is there for you anytime you have a problem, like when you can’t remove the taper pins from your new barrel to slip off the front sight base and you now have to find a new barrel.
Product of the Week:
Interviewing Levi, the First AR winner of the podcast.
Round Table Discussion of the AR world this week
Announcing the AR-15 Giveaway Winner:
Jayoco: Hey guys, great show! Another option. For those who own or will be purchasing a Ram truck with Ram Boxes (I love mine), you can purchase a holster for the Ram Boxes. The Boxes on the '13's and '14's lock when you press the button to lock the doors. The holster looks like this:
They're on Amazon for about $250.
John W: Hey guys I was just listening to episode 94 and wanted to give you a little more information on the carbon fiber wrapped barrel you were talking about in a question. The main advantage of going to that style of barrel is not the heat dissipation but the weight savings. Your able get the performance of a bull barrel out of something that weighs in a half the weight. The heat dissipation is only a plus.
I also have been reloading for a couple years now. I started so I could save money while shooting my 25-06. I now load for my AR and a few other rifles and multiple handgun calibers. I find no need to crimp my rifle rounds and only crimp my handgun rounds.
A tip if you happen to smash your case after seating the bullet. If you run it through the resizing die again you can save the round and still use it. As long as the case isn't too far gone it will straighten back out.
I hope you find some of this information useful. Thanks for the great podcast.
Arturo: Hi Reed, Do you know if there are any FRN listener events planned for Shot Show? What I’d like to see reviewed during Shot Show 2015:
- Ultra light weight aluminum rails/handguards
- Compare contrast piston conversion systems … compare/contrast Adams Arms with Syrac Ordance's new piston system.
- Affordable silencers
- Side charging upper receivers/BCG
- Affordable battle rugged CQB and mid distance optics
Lumby: Greetings and salutations from Lumby. Regarding the incredibly ugly AR pistol in episode 97; It's not actually a frankengun. It's a Professional Ordnance Carbon-15 pistol. Specifically, it's a type 97 (appropriate episode, eh?), denoted by its fluted barrel and quick-detach compensator. It had carbon fiber reinforced receivers and a proprietary bolt carrier and recoil buffer system. The goofy looking gas tube shroud is perforated sheet steel.
And you were right about the laser-dongle-thingy being attached to the flutes in the barrel. It was an accessory available from the factory.
Too bad Professional Ordnance had terrible quality control, or these might be more than just a curiosity.
Thanks for all the work you put into the show. It continues to be pretty great.
Tom J: Hey guys just wanted to share with you my franken gun. This my first 80% lower build of 3, the ironic thing is I named it Franken gun. Because of your podcast is the reason I started building (A)mericans (R)ifles. Keep up with the good work and always look forward to your opinion / advice each and every week.
Eric G: Hey guys! Just started listening to the show a couple weeks ago, since I just finished my 1st AR. Ya'll do a great job covering different topics and keeping my 70 mile round trip drive to work from driving me crazy. Keep it up! Yes, I'll leave a 5 star iTunes review soon. Looking through the archives I can’t seem to find shows talking about optics choices. Can you point me in the right direction with show #'s? Im having a hard time deciding which way to go with optics. I want the best I can get of both worlds: Long range reach out accuracy AND close range speed. At this point I’m leaning towards a 1-4x or 5x scope with maybe a small red dot mounted on top. But then I really like the Vortex StrikeFire II red dot. And I read Vortex is good stuff. As far as budget, gotta keep it low for now. Under $250. I'd love a Burris setup but that's out of the question anytime soon. What do you think of AIM Sports? Or any other cheap-o's for that matter. Thanks!
Trey Wall: Hey guys I love the show when I can get my phone to download it. I was wondering if I missed the announcement of the winner of the ar. The last episode I was able to download was the Sbr episode. For some reason I keep getting a download error on all my podcast. Thanks guys have a great day.
- Send us any questions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can also send us a recorded voicemail by using the Speak Pipe Plugin on the right hand side of the ar15podcast website
- Subscribe and listen to the AR-15 Podcast for free attv/itunes
- Be sure to leave an iTunes review so iTunes can place the show higher in the searches of potential listeners
- If you listen to us on the Stitcher app, be sure to leave us a review there.
- Share your pics with us on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/groups/blackrifle/
- Follow us on G+ to watch us LIVE at http://www.tv/plus
- Check out our YouTube page at https://www.youtube.com/FirearmsRadio
- Follow FRN on Facebook http://www.com/Firearmsradio
- Check out our other podcast on the Firearms Radio Network
- Don’t forget to use our Brownells Affiliate link for all your AR-15 parts http://www.ar15podcast.com/parts
- Don’t forget to use our Amazon affiliate link on the Firearmsradio.tv website