Reed and Anthony talk about AR-15 upgrades for your stock store bought rifle.
Welcome to Episode #066 of the AR15 Podcast. I’m your host Reed Snyder and with me today is my co-Host Anthony Hardy. This is the podcast about your favorite black rifle! This show is for you; whether you're building your first AR or you’ve been building ARs for years. There is something we can all do to take our black rifle to the next level.
Brownells helps make this show possible.
Due to overwhelming demand, Jake has relented and installed new flooring. While we here at the AR-15 podcast question why he chose linoleum, we fully support the retirement of his lime green shag carpet. So don’t forget that Brownells is there for you anytime you make a mistake, like when Jake shoots a spring across his avacado green linoleum flooring and it skids under the cabinets.
Brownells Item of the Week: Barrel Extension Torgue Tool
Shop for AR-15 parts at Brownells. Go to: ar15podcast.com/parts
Tip of the Week:
Know your vises. We aren’t talking about VICE’S (like alcohol or cigarettes), but vises. If you need to remove your flash hider, make sure you have a barrel vise, NOT an upper vise, like me (Anthony).
Baseline Rifle: S&W15OR (Optics Ready)
- Low: BCM AR-15 Carry Handle - MILSPEC Height
- Middle: Magpul MBUS Gen 2
- High: Knights Armament Flip Up Sights Front and Rear
- Low: JP Enterprises: AR-15 Reduced-Power Spring Kit
- Middle: ALG Defense: QMS Trigger Set
- High: Geissele: SD-3G Supper Dynamic 3 Gun Trigger
- Low: Magpul Grip, Magpul Carbine Length Handguard, Magpul MOE Carbine Stock - Milspec Model
- Middle: B5 Systems SOPMOD BRAVO Milspec Stock, MI Gen II Series 7” Rail, LaRue Tacitcal A-PEG Grip
- High: VLTOR CASV-KM Handguard with Keymod, VLTOR-A5 Stock Combo Kit, Viking Tactics Enhanced Battle Ax CQB Grip
David F: I live in CA and am looking into buying an ar pistol and in my research I've noticed that there are some models that don't have a buffer tube. I'm not interested in buying one but it got me wondering how do they work? What pushes the bolt back forward after a round is fired? I've only found one example of how they work but it's a all polymer model from AZ Also is there a place that I can find answers to questions like this. Sent from my iPad
Steve: Hey guys love the show, I was wondering if you could cover some of the details in building a KISS or IDF style AR. I have bought my first lower and would like to go this route for my first AR. Specifically what composes a carbine of this type, is it the lack of optics or the style of handguard? Maybe you could shed some light on this one. Love the show. Thanks for the help
Jesse: So, I have a story regarding a range bag... I have the Midway Competition bag, which I really love. One day my daughter and I were at the range using the bag as a rest while shooting. Wait, first I have to explain that we are in Massachusetts and my AR came without a flash suppressor or brake and the barrel is not threaded so I can't easily add one. As a result, every shot comes with a 6 inch in diameter ball of fire at the end of the barrel! Well, I was looking the other way and my daughter got something out of the side pocket in the range bag but didn't bother to zip it up. She then proceeded to lay the rifle across the bag, well above the hanging pocket but directly above it. When she fired, the ball of flame melted the top of the flap and the zipper!!!! Now, I have a brand new range bag and she owns a bag that constantly reminds her to close up the bag when using it as a rifle rest…
I love the show, keep up the great work!
Scott: Hey guys, I enjoyed the show on .300 blackout out and was wondering if you have any experience with a 9mm ar? Is it as simple to make my 5.56 ar into a 9mm as it is to make a .300 blackout? What kind of range can you get out of a 9mm? Would it be better to maybe build an ar pistol? Thanks for any help you can offer. The new Co hosts are doing great by the way. Thanks, Scott
- Send any questions or comments to email@example.com
- Send us a recorded voicemail by using the Speak Pipe Plugin on the right hand side of the ar15podcast website
- Follow FRN on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Firearmsradio
- Follow G+ to watch us LIVE at http://www.firearmsradio.tv/plus
- Don’t forget to check out the podcast on the Firearms Radio Network
- Subscribe and listen to the podcasts for free at firearmsradio.tv/itunes
- Be sure to leave an itunes review so iTunes knows to place the show higher in listener searches
- Don’t forget to use our Brownells Affiliate link for all your AR-15 parts http://www.ar15podcast.com/parts