Reed and Anthony talk about What’s in Your Range Bag?
Welcome to Episode #063 of the AR15 Podcast. I’m your host Reed Snyder and with me today is my other new Co-Host, Anthony Hardy. This is the podcast about your favorite black rifle! This show is for you; whether you're building your first AR or you’ve been building ARs for years. There is something we can all do to take our black rifle to the next level.
Brownells helps make this show possible.
They are there for you anytime you make a mistake, like when Jake shoots a spring across the room into his lime green shag carpet.
Brownells Item of the Week: ProChrono Digital Chronograph
Shop for AR-15 parts at Brownells. Go to: ar15podcast.com/parts
Tip of the Week:
For the first time shooters among us.
1. Call your range and talk to someone about the range’s rules
2. Learn the principal firearms safety rules and make them a part of your ritual.
- Rule I: All guns are always loaded
- Rule II: Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy
- Rule III: Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target
- Rule IV: Be sure of your target
3. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
What’s in Your Range Bag?
1. The Bag
- Features - is it made for the range vs an ad-hoc bag
- Utility - how many compartments, attachment points, etc...
- Ruggedness and Durability (materials, zippers, stains)
2. The Essentials
- Front Sight Tool
- Ear Protection
- Eye Protection
- Otis Technology MSR Cleaning System
- Individual First Aid Kit
- Spotting Scope
3. The Extras
- Tools to service your MSR
- Spare Parts
- Sun Screen
- Stapler/Thumb Tacks/Clothes Pin
- Mag Loader
- Water/Snacks/Vending Machine Money
- Shot Timer
- Video Camera
David R: Jake, Love the podcast! Makes the drive into work bearable!! I've been shooting .22's and pistols for years now and have finally decided to purchase my first AR15. I was curious as to your thoughts concerning piston rifles, primarily the Ruger 556. Would you consider a piston operated AR as your first or would you recommend sticking with a DI? Thanks for any insight you might be able to offer to a first time purchaser!
Jacob M: Hey Guys, I really enjoyed the last podcast with info on silencers, SBRs, and Tax Stamps, thanks for putting that together. Makes me want to pinch my pennies and get one or the other. Only problem is I can't get past the idea that its illegal to own one until you pay someone enough money then all of a sudden its magically not illegal anymore. I know we have rules but common sense should prevail. So I won't be paying the government any more of my money, so they can lift an infringement off my right to bear certain arms. I also enjoyed the new co host in this episode He doesn't try too hard but I can tell he takes this seriously. Thanks again please keep up the good work. and please enter me in the OTIS giveaway.
Robin: Hey Hey, Loved the recent episode on the Otis cleaning and maintenance episode; a much needed and back to basics episode. I recently ordered the Otis MPSR kit due to this exact episode. I got the MPSR since I have a Christensen Arms Gas Piston AR and as mentioned in the episode this kit is made specifically for Piston AR's and because it's a piston system I won't be needing the BONE tool as much as a direct impingement rifle...which is why I love Otis...they give you exactly what you need, nothing more, nothing less. So due to your episode I got the right and best kit and saved money getting the MPSR instead of the MSR. Also love the tip on using the patches correctly and getting 6 passes. I always had trouble tying the patches correctly and simply just said screw it and just tied it off any which way so that it'll just go through the barrel, but after hearing this tip I took the time to really learn and it has made a difference...so anyway, thanks AR15 Podcast and Otis!
Also just listened to the Silencer episode...you guys did a superb job covering a topic that is so large and has so many angles and information.
I personally love the design and engineering of SilencerCo and would love to get one and put it on a SBR build but unfortunately I live in California and will have to wait until I move to a different state for both the SBR and Silencer. The only other hope is that the government changes their mind and makes it available to us in California. I am glad that silencers are getting more attention and seen as a benefit to hearing and hunting and not just seen as a assassin's tool. Hopefully the military will see the long term benefit not only for health and hearing but for tactical reasons as well. Keep making episodes like this and the education will reverberate and spread throughout and thus make it available to all.
Thanks and keep up the good work.
P.S. Please enter me in the drawing.
Rob L: JW & Reed.....Get a Lefty AR! Stop the whining....Plz! Don't Stag & Rock River have lefty uppers? Have any GGR shows covered how to determine WHICH eye to shoot with....AKA dominant eye? I'm left handed, left eye dominant but shoot righty...proly cause I was taught that way at 5 and I LIKED it!! I try lefty once in a while and scores are about equal.
Has GGR discussed shooting with Reading Glasses?
Silencers....Interesting show. But will prolly never have one until I move to clap....clap.....clap....clap....TEXAS!!!
And I finally GOT the JW "stamp" collecting!! Firearm Tax stamps!! LOL
Dave: I have a colt sporter comp hbar and the BCG and barrel are keyed to each other, also has the sear block so regular BCG's don't fit. ARGH! I have the colt upper lower removed now I have to remove the barrel. I was selling the lower and bcg to fund a new project, but now I have to buy a new barrel also. So my question is why the hell would colt do this to me! lol.
- Send any questions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send us a recorded voicemail by using the Speak Pipe Plugin on the right hand side of the ar15podcast website
- Follow FRN on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Firearmsradio
- Follow G+ to watch us LIVE at http://www.firearmsradio.tv/plus
- Don’t forget to check out the podcast on the Firearms Radio Network
- Subscribe and listen to the podcasts for free at firearmsradio.tv/itunes
- Be sure to leave an itunes review so iTunes knows to place the show higher in listener searches
- Don’t forget to use our Brownells Affiliate link for all your AR-15 parts http://www.ar15podcast.com/parts