Tony and Reed discuss the fully automatic variants of the AR-15.
Welcome to Episode #046 of the AR15 Podcast. I’m your host Reed Snyder and with us is my co-host Tony Imburgia. This is the podcast about your favorite black rifle! This show is for you; whether you're building your first AR or you’ve been building ARs for years. There’s something we can all do to take our black rifle to the next level.
Brownells helps make this show possible.
They’re there for you anytime you shoot a spring across the room into your shag carpet.
Shop for AR-15 parts at Brownells
Training Tip of the Week:
In the spirit of the Full Auto Episode:How to Bump Fire Your AR-15
Main Topic: Fully Automatic AR-15/M-16/M4A1
The “Original” M-16:
- The military looks to the AR-15 in part because of the ease of use during automatic fire.
- The Armalite AR-15 was designed to be a select fire weapon.
- Government requested that it be changed from full auto to 3 round burst to control fire and conserve ammo.
What is a Machine Gun:
National Firearms Act Definitions: Machinegun
For the purposes of the National Firearms Act the term Machinegun means:
- Any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger
- The frame or receiver of any such weapon
- Any part designed and intended solely and exclusively or combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, or
- Any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.
Variations of on the Fully Automatic AR Platform:
- Production M-16
- Production AR-15 Converted to Full Auto
- Lightning Link
- Drop In Auto Sear (DIAS)
Current State of the Law:
Alternatives to the Machine Gun:
- Slide Fire Video
- Bump Fire stocks: not actually fully auto but simulates full auto rate of fire http://www.slidefire.com ($369)
Considerations When Trying to go Full Auto
- Sale is halted on post 1986 manufactured rifles, making the supply forever limited and therefore driving up the price.
- Fully assembled M16 - $12-$20k
- Tax Stamp $200 Plus waiting period for approval
Don’t forget to Shop for your AR-15 parts at Brownells ar15podcast.com/ar15parts
Alex in Austin:Hi guys, Can you guys cover methods and materials for polishing triggers. I have a rifle which I'll be purchasing a Geissele trigger for but have several several other rifles and revolvers which will keep their standard trigger. I would like to smooth out the sear surfaces on these triggers but I'm not sure which polishing media and materials I would need to do this.....and do it safely (this would be a good time to put a plug in for Brownells).
Perhaps you can also recommend a video source which covers the polishing of trigger surfaces.
Smiddywesson: Love the Podcast. The depth of this subject is surprising. However, the real surprise is I never appreciated the rifle as a platform.
Give a man a black rifle, and you've just armed one man. But teach a man to MAKE a black rifle, and you may have just filled an armory.
David: Reed, Would you please find out where Greg Bakken was able to find his FN 16" 5.56 Cold Hammer Forged Light-weight Mid-Length 1:7 Chrome-lined Pencil Barrel? He mentioned it was around $199. Any confirmation or links would be greatly appreciated.
PhilMc: Hello guys! Love your show as I have just recently put together my AR. Learned many useful tips while putting it together. On a side note: you guys need to watch your audio while recording. On the Budget show I had to turn the audio way up to hear it. The intro from the Firearms network was normal. I'm a ham radio operator so I zero right in on this sort of thing. Thanks for all the hard work putting the show together!
- Send any questions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Record a voicemail using the Speak Pipe Plugin on the right hand side of ar15podcast.com
- Follow FRN on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Firearmsradio
- Follow G+ to watch LIVE http://www.firearmsradio.tv/plus
- Don’t forget to check out the other shows on the Firearms Radio Network Subscribe and listen for free at firearmsradio.tv/itunesove/
- Don’t forget to use our Brownells Affiliate link for all your AR-15 parts http://www.ar15podcast.com/ar15parts
- The Firearms Radio Network Needs your help!
- Show us some love by going to http://www.gunguyradio.com/l